Sunday, July 29, 2012

Gabby Covay - Songwriter & creative visionary

Story and interview by Chris Koppers, photo courtesy of Gabby Covay

Gabby is on fire. These days, Gabby feels like one of the happiest songwriters of this planet, because of her newly launched website:

http://www.gabbycovay.com/


"I use what’'s hot in today's music to write tomorrow’s music which will have you and even your dog dancing to the beat of my different drum."

Gabby explains her visions and she grants a profound insight of being an exceptional songwriter.




Mastery of the crafts is her turf she loves most. She runs her business with fast-growing recognition. Convinced by her visions, she dauntlessly writes new songs for those who are in need of excellent lyrics.  Her talent exemplifies that creativity does not know any boundaries.

--- Interview ---

How did you get started as a songwriter? What was your main motivation?

Becoming a songwriter sort of just happened. So one day, while contemplating life (yeah, I’m a philosophy junkie!), a song suddenly came to mind. I thought it was something that had played on the radio earlier that day – but nope, it was my own song. That was it. That instance sparked something within me because afterwards lyrics/melodies would randomly spring to mind -- in the shower, on the toilet, at work, when arguing with the cashier lady…pretty much everywhere!  


What is your current project?

I’m all over the place right now with projects ranging from a sweet little track called Childhood Dream that tastes like cotton candy and sounds like J. Biebz with a K-Pop edge, a crazy club banger dubstep track that’ll get your bootay shaking! And then there’s the more serious stuff: a Black Eyed peas type track that advocates anti-violence and another track about America. But this ain’t your regular cheesy stuff.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

Oh boy, this is a good one. Bear with me here because my inner psychologist is about to come out! If you’re open to it, inspiration can come from anything. When I’m open to inspiration, songwriting sort of just happens - there’s hardly any thinking involved. I’m pretty sure I have an invisible song whisperer following me around at all times. But when I consciously decide not to be inspired so that I can focus my energy on a few projects, my little song whisper turns off his Blackberry and goes on a little vacation.

Is there a particular artist you would like to collaborate with?

Yeah, definitely. I’d like collaborate with the master producers and artists of every genre. I’m pretty captivated by Lana Del Rey at the moment. Her voice is so distinct and melodic - we could push the boundaries of music by working together. Also, Max Martin, Dr. Luke, Stargate, Tiesto, Timbaland, Calvin Harris, Will.i.am, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Nelly Furtado and distinctly creative bands like Muse and Massive Attack. Rihanna, I’m looking at you, Carly Rae Jepsen, call me, maybe? And all of you lesser known artists out there – bring me your talent and I’ll bring you your hits! 

How is 2012 looking for you? What has been your best moment this year? So far?

2012 has been an awesome year so far! After graduate school, I had more time on my hands so I started experimenting with the music I had written in the past couple of years. I got in touch with a few people who sort of made me realize that I’m a pretty damn good songwriter AND I can actually make a career out of it. And so here I am! My best moment so far was hearing one of my friends– who happens to have a really short attention span – tell me that he likes one of the songs I wrote to. Best compliment. Ever. Because boring songs suck!

And your toughest moment?

Choosing the right people to collaborate with. When you’re just starting out you tend to be full of creative energy so you want to work with everyone and do as much as possible. But once your feet touch the ground you realize that there’s no need to waste your time trying to force-fit a connection with those who are on a different wavelength than you creatively. My musical soul-mates out there - I’m still on the lookout for you! 

You are like a globetrotter. Why?

Why live in a bubble when there’s so much to see and do? I tend to get bored of living in one place for too long, So who knows, one day I might end up being your next door neighbor. At least for a while.

When Gabby is not writing songs, she is...

Either perfecting her lucid dreaming techniques, drinking red wine with good friends, or eating popcorn while watching videos of Michio Kaku on YouTube.

Thank you for taking your time, Gabby.

2 comments:

Robert K. said...

Chris,

You have the talent to pick pretty ladies with musical talents.

You should take your camera and shoot that lady.

Keep on providing more coverages like that.

Ola,
Robert

Steve O'Kenna said...

Chris,

You have heard that numerous times, but I have to tell you that your blog is amazing.

Goof job,
Steve